Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Six Strange Women

Yesterday, following lunch, Linda and I went for a walk through the Candelaria barrio where Ochenta is located. We saw two small parks, that we had basically ignored previously, and decided to give them a closer look. Here's what we found, apart from one or two small fountains, not functioning. By the way, each park had three statues and a plaque noted that they had been placed there by municipalidad.





I have no idea why they are there or what they are trying to say. They remind me of the Minerva Temple in Quetzaltenango. Here's a picture of it. While I have some of my own, I'm too lazy to go looking for one of them. I borrowed this off the web.


It was built by a former Guatemalan President in 1917 as a means of promoting education. It must not have worked, since they still don't know what to do with it. There's another similar temple in Huehuetenango, but all the others, and each municipalidad and city was supposed to have built one, are long gone and forgotten. To further illustrate, I have walked through the Temple of Minerva and didn't feel any smarter afterwards than I had prior to the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment