Monday, March 28, 2011

I've Been Robbed...Almost!

Last year, on the Third Sunday in Lent, while watching a Lenten procession, I was robbed by a pick-pocket. It was a humbling experience, but I ended up only losing about $60 in quetzales. The charges to my check card (over $400 were refunded by VISA, with the help of my friendly bank.

Last Sunday was also the Third Sunday in Lent. I was prepared this time. Both of my pockets were closed with a large safety pin. Even if someone got their hand inside, they couldn't get anything out. I felt very secure. I was also wearing a Guatemalan shoulder bag.

Getting into the van this morning for the ride to Ochenta, I discovered that my water bottle and some mints had fallen out of my bag. I assumed that I had forgotten to zip it shut, but that wasn't the case. What I found instead was a cut in the side of my bag about 5-6 inches long. Evidently, someone wanted what I had in my bag during yesterday's procession. Unfortunately for them, I didn't have anything in my bag except some Transitions brochures I had forgotten to take out, a free map of the Sunday procession (showing the wrong street for the time we were going to watch it), and my floppy brimmed hat. I had brought the bag to carry my flannel shirt, since it gets rather cool in the evening, but had put it on. All in all, a very bad selection of items to steal. I'm sure the thief was very disappointed. Linda stitched up the cut, but we'll probably be getting new shoulder bags, especially since the zipper on the pocket of her bag broke.

I'm thinking of buying a rat trap, setting it and carrying it in my bag. That would give them some excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment