Friday, March 18, 2011

Esta Mañana en Parque Central

I finally got paid for February yesterday afternoon. I have no idea why it took so long, but I know that next payday, if I don´t have a check, I´m heading home until they call me to tell me that it´s ready to pick up. Perhaps I should clarify. I don´t receive a "pay check," I'm actually a volunteer development director and receive a "living stipend," which supplements my Social Security and other personal funds and allows us to live here in paradise. Nevertheless, next month (only 14 days away), if there's no check, it's "hasta luego, baby!" until there is!

I got my February living stipend check too late yesterday to make it to the bank (CITI) before it closed. So, this morning, I hitched a ride with Joel, who was going to the San Felipe site and got out about a block from Parque Central. The bank didn't open until 9:00 a.m. and I was about 20 minutes early, so I headed over to Barista (think Starbucks knockoff) for a chocolate con leche (hot chocolate made with milk). Yes, they also sell chocolate con aqua here, but I prefer it with leche. On the way, I took this photo of Volcáns Fuego (left) and Acatenango (right two peaks)


After I got my chocolate con leche (con llevar - to go), I walked over into Parque Central, where I was approached by two young men, both in school uniforms, who asked if I would participate in a survey. Having time to kill, I readily agreed. We proceeded to go through a staged routine, obviously designed to allow them to practice their English. It was delightful. I praised them on their English and continued my walk in the park. Still having time to kill, I sat on a park bench and was immediately targeted by one of the many boys who shine shoes. He asked me if I wanted a shine and I tried to decline. Then he said Q10 and I realized how little that was to me and how much it was to him, so I said go ahead. He did an enthusiastic job and when he was finished I had very shiny shoes. I paid him and headed over to the bank. I immediately regretted that I hadn't given him a propina (tip), but we've been somewhat short of cash for a week and generousity had taken a vacation.

The bank opened practically on time and when I entered, I was asked what I needed. I showed the employee my check and he asked me to step to the counter, endorse it and include my passport number. I then got in line. There were four tellers for the four windows and each had a client. There were also two people in front of me. Amazingly, they were fast and I soon was at a teller, to whom I presented my endorsed check and my passport (locals present their cedula or identification card). He quickly counted out the required amount, recounted it and handed it to me. I then recounted it, rejected two bills because they had imperfections and asked for replacements. It is a fact of life in Guatemala that merchants and banks will give you defective bills, but refuse to accept them. I've gotten very good at saying, no aceptable (not acceptable). I think it surprises them. They better get used to it, because this old gringo is going to keep saying it.

Before I left the bank, I asked the teller if I could open a cuenta de ahorra (savings account) with a tarjeta de debito (debit card). I was surprised when he said I could. That will be my project for next month, since I'll be receiving twice as much as I received in the check I cashed today and would prefer not walking the street primed to be a target.

Morning business accomplished, I walked 1/2 mile to Ochenta and spent my day doing research for future fund development projects. I really like this job, even if I don't get paid much for doing it. It is an opportunity to give back, while living a comfortable life in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Gosh I'm blessed!

P.S. Once I got to Ochenta and told Alex what I had done, he said that only retired people go to Parque Central in the morning. I reminded him that I was a retired person.

No comments:

Post a Comment